1.6.11

I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. Psalm 3:5

Day 8

The Lord sustains me. He is faithful, even when I am not. With each day comes new mercy. Even though time is sometimes slow, it has not stopped. We have survived one whole week, plus today.

I remember when we were in college. Johnny would have to go away for the weekend for track meets and I would miss him so. I couldn’t wait for him to get back. It felt like forever. Every time the home phone rang I would get a spark of hope that it would be him, calling to say hi, calling to say he was coming home early.  I would have never guessed our future together would hold years apart. Since we first met, we have always spent lots of time with one another (probably more time than we should have at first.) We like being together, even if we’re doing nothing and it’s silent. We are comfortable together.  He did do a couple months here at Ft Bragg. Jonni was a baby, we were planning our little fall wedding. He left for the summer. Our first big “separation”.

God showed me His sweet faithfulness during that separation 15 years ago.  Johnny and I wrote paper letters back and forth as much as we could. And to my delight, I received one that I will never forget and that I thank God for to this day. One that changed our lives. An answer to prayer. I know my mouth fell open as I read it again to make sure I understood what it said. I know tears dripped down my cheeks. I know I have it somewhere in a box, I should find it. There, or I should say here, at advanced camp, Johnny gave his life to Christ.  Ironically, it was an Army Chaplain at Fort Bragg who led him to know Jesus as his Lord and Savior.
 

It was the beginning of God using our military separations for His purposes and glory, and for our good. The first of many.

I’m going to bed thankful tonight. Thankful that my God is in control.  Thankful He’s writing this story. Thankful that He can use anything for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. Thankful to have a husband I love so much it hurts. Thankful, dare I say, for unwanted separation and suffering that bring forth His glory, that draw us closer to Him, and even to each other.  Thankful for kids who are growing up in a place where their daddy gave his life to the Lord, and a place where life might not be easy, but it is abundant. Thankful for the memories.  Thankful for freedom, both physical and spiritual. Thankful that as I fall asleep tonight, even though my bed is empty, my Lord will not blink an eye. He’s watching over us. He sustains me.

1 comment:

Christina said...

How very sweet of God to give John a Gilgal moment. A full circle to see where he was and where he is now. What are the odds that Bragg would be the first duty station of a new chaplain who gave his life to Christ at the same duty station? Very neat of Him. :)