2.6.11

My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart. Psalm 24:6-7

Day 10

 Going to bed with a smile this evening. We finally got to video skype with Johnny! A real call that wasn’t constantly disconnecting. We could see his face, and he ours. The kids were still up, so it was nice. Nice to talk like a family about the day, like we would normally do around the dinner table. Nice to see each others’ smiles. I even noticed the kids obeyed a little more quickly with daddy’s face on the computer screen! His presence is missed greatly in our home, by all of us. It was a sweet blessing to see and hear the man of our house, the man who holds my heart,  even though it  was not long enough. We learn to be thankful for any bit we get.

Spent the day with new friends, at the pool in 95 degree weather.  I successfully avoided a sunburn. Johnny would be proud of me.  I appreciate who God is bringing into our lives here.  We have been here almost a year, but I still feel new in many ways. And yet I feel at home since it the third time we have come to Bragg, and we know this is where God has planted us on purpose. I’m comfortable with the surroundings and have many connections, but I don’t have too many close relationships- yet. I realize these take time. And time I do have. And time I do guard. I’m being extra careful this deployment to not pack our schedules. Not to overcommit.

 He is building us up, day by day. He takes care of us in so many ways. Many we realize, and probably so many of which we don’t even have a clue.  I can think back over each duty station past and see God’s faithfulness. His hand in our lives, perfectly placing new friends and neighbors, some who would last forever and some for a season. Some who would leave and then come back.  The army is a much smaller world than it seems. We often meet mutual friends of friends. Just last summer, a friend from Virginia came to visit and brought her old friend(that I had never met) who lives in Hawaii but was also visiting NC at the time. She(Hawaii friend) was talking about her neighbor on the island whose description seemed unusually familiar to me. From what she was saying, I had a hunch that she was talking about an old neighbor of mine. I asked her name, and when we realized her neighbor used to be my neighbor- We both started screaming and jumping up in down in the middle of the living room.  How wild is that. What’s the chance of a stranger coming to visit who actually lives thousands of miles away next door to an old friend of yours? And then actually figuring it out! She phoned that old friend of mine and I got to chat with her right then and there. I love how God connects His people to one another. Like a big beautiful, but invisible spider web. One that I don’t mind being stuck in.  Months later I was surprised by a box in the mail- the friend of my two friends sent me Hawaiian coffee and chocolate macadamia nut candy. Life is sweet and God is good.

No comments: